On Tuesday July 26th, my sister-in-law called me at work and advised my father had called 9-1-1 because he couldn’t breath.  Now I knew he was having some breathing problems – not completely uncommon for him – but he is stubborn (which man isn’t really) and waited two full days before calling the hospital who advised him to call for an ambulance immediately.  I left work and drove like even more of a maniac than usual and beat the ambulance to Scarborough General Hospital.  My dad looked pale, which for my family isn’t hard since we are all kinda pasty looking anyway.  But he was awake and in fairly good spirits for someone who couldn’t breath.  After having blood work, x-rays and numerous other tests done, a very nice ER doctor (whose name I cannot remember, but my God she was wonderful) explained that sometime in the last few days my father had a massive heart attack and had congestive heart failure (he had liquid in his lungs that his heart would not pump out). 

A massive heart attack!  Excuse me, but I just took CPR and he had NO signs of having a massive heart attack!  The doctor explained that because of renal issues the attack affected him differently than most people.  This was not comforting to me at all.  How can I, as his daughter, and whom lives with him, be any help if I have no idea he is having issues!!!!!  They brought him up to the Critical Care Unit that same night and stabilized him enough so that he was comfortable. 

The next day things only got worse 😦 

His heart and breathing weren’t normal and were going very crazy on the machine.  Every time it beeped I thought I would go into near hysterics!  I cried and I whined and I am sure I drove my brother and the nurses crazy with my watchful eye on the monitors.  Again, they stabilized him, and since then he has been taken off all his machines, moved out of critical care and has regained much of his strength and appetite.  It’s been a LONG week, a week of off and on sleep which is not good for me or anyone else who was in contact with me (Richard I love you and I am so sorry for being a wretched bitch).   However I have learned one thing:

My friends, family and neighbours are amazing.  I kept regular facebook status updates so everyone knew what was happening and therefore I didn’t have to text/call numerous people.  Everyone offered to bring me food or keep me company and even though I wanted for nothing but my father to be okay, I was grateful for the kind thoughts and prayers sent my way while we were dealing with him.  I am also grateful to the staff at SGH because I know I stressed them out and no one wanted to see a hysterical, 30-year-old woman crying because she isn’t allowed to sleep next to her father!

Dad is having tests run today and hopefully they will bring good news!  I would love to have him home in the next week or so – I don’t sleep well alone.  Richard is coming over tonight though so I can finally give the poor man some attention!  Plus keep my mind off the hospital and all the craziness of the past week.  Has it really been a whole week – wow! 

Have a great hump day everyone!

XOXO Nikilee


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s