As a single girl in a coupled world I have become very confused and turned off by all the rules of dating. I am not dating anyone and if all this confusion keeps up, I don’t know if I ever will! Everyone has a tonne of advice (especially married men and women) and most of the advice is contradictory to other advice given (make the man pay, go dutch, whoever asks pays) AHHHHH! I have decided to come up with own rules for dating and these are mainly because I believe in them firmly and if a man is not cool with these rules, then he is not the right man for me!
1. The man will take me out to a meal for our first date OR plan a fun activity. A coffee date will not do. If you do not think I am worth a meal or an activity that takes longer then 20 minutes, then you are not worth my time and we should get to know each other over phone, email, text before we decide to hang out. This is not because I am a gold digger or want a free meal, I can afford my own food I just truly believe that I am worth it, I am a nice person, a fun girl and have a lot to offer so really…I am worth a dinner! I had a guy take me to coffee on a first date three times last year, after I finished my coffee (and I drink fast) I figured it was time to go because that was the only plan. Coffee just doesn’t work as a real first date. No time to get to know someone.
2. No games, if you say you are going to call/text/email do it. Don’t make me chase you because I wont. If you are going to be late please call and tell me this, because there is nothing worse in my eyes then lateness! I dated a guy who was late for my fathers birthday dinner!!! You all know how much I love my father – guess how happy I was that night?! And if you have to cancel a date, then a phone call – not a text – is needed. If it has to be a text then a follow-up phone call is appreciated.
3. I will not be giving up the cookie easily – you are going to have to earn it. My goal is not to sleep with as many men as possible, but to find the right man, “the man”. One of those famous coffee dates I had, the guy kissed me (which I was cool with) and tried to feel me up (which I was SO NOT COOL WITH). Really you buy me a coffee, have a 20 minute conversation with me and you think you can touch me where ever you feel…LOL…no. I will not fall for any come on lines or sweetness…if you want the cookie, then be my friend, date me, care for me, take care of me, show me you are honest and loyal and then…
4. Introduce me to your family and your friends after we have decided we are in a relationship. A guy I dated in the fall wanted me to meet his mom a week after our first date. no. I am a family oriented person and my girlfriends mean the world to me, but they are not going to meet you until we have decided this is going to be something. I would hope your family and friends are just as important to you!
5. I am not the easiest person to deal with all the time. I have a lot of responsibility and I can get grouchy and whiny just like any other person does. But I am also kind, caring, hard-working, loyal, honest and the best friend/partner you could find. I know this about myself and if a real man arrives who also meets the above adjectives then maybe magic could happen! LOL…okay I get it – that sounds totally corny! I am corny though so it’s all good!